a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Printing

etching by Jacques Brousseau

When I was an illustrator I had the opportunity to view and colour correct the print run of my first children's book. In my spare time I went to a craft show and bought my first etching. I had always been intrigued by the quality of line achieved in most forms of printmaking.

etching by Sandra Martin

My friend, Sandra, became involved with copperplate etching and had her own press. She even gave me a copperplate on which to  play with: I, regretably, never did.

Foxglove and Picket Fence by Gerard Brender a Brandis
As a gift one year, she bought for me "Wood, Ink and Paper, Wood Engravings" by Gerard Brender a Brandis as well as this original print, "Foxglove and Picket Fence". She was well aware that I had an interest in woodcuts and engravings. (I have a print of "Evening Snow at Kanbara" by Ando Hiroshige.)

 In many ways it was too bad that we  never had the opportunity to share our interests in other classes.



I don't doubt that there will come a time when I will leave off the screen printing to explore without the pressure of production. For the time being, the investment has been made and printing in this manner will be pursued.


No comments:

Post a Comment