a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Roncy Rocks 2013

 





Tomorrow is the 4th annual Roncy Rocks Festival on Roncesvalles, the west end of Toronto. Each year this show becomes larger and more strongly attended which is great as there is a lot of hard work put into it. If you have the time, please come. There will be lots of good music, food and art.






In previous posts I've mentioned about when I'm on the search for something, it somehow just presents itself. Ever since having gone to Spruce's opening last week and seeing how they displayed my work, I've wanted to continue that visual. But going here and going there, hadn't really resulted in anything appropriate.


And then while out with the girls for our early morning walk, I came across this old bucket that was being tossed out. 

It just presented itself.

What could I do? I picked it up, brought it home and cleaned it.





After I had cleaned it, and  Art got over that I brought home yet another piece of "garbage", he saw the colouring and decided that it reminded him of the horses of San Marco in Venice.

 
Horses of San Marco, image by Barbara Di Lella 1996

  Garbage indeed! 
When we had gone to Europe, the horses were amongst the list of things we were determined to see. It was a drizzly day in October and it was perfect.
The horses are cast in bronze which has well over 90% copper in the mix. This accounts for the verdigris  patina. So I'm thinking there must be some copper in this old bucket. However, I love the patina and think that I will just put a light coat of wax over it. 

 

5 comments:

  1. I love the bucket, great find!! Have a wonderful show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous find!! And to think I get excited over a flattened bottle cap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is a great find and having seen the horses in Venezia, I would have to agree with Art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old finds, what a beautiful bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love curb finds and want to collect them too!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete