a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Old Photos


The other day I had the opportunity to go through some old photo albums. There were quite a number of pictures that I had never seen before. This one is vaguely familiar although I remember it in a frame on my grandmother's dressing table. You can see that it is dated November 1914. World War 1 developed through the summer of 1914. In a few months this picture will be 100 years old. It is a picture of my grandmother's brother who was killed. I also have some of the letters that he had written to her in 1913.
A sense of the past has always been with me. There are the lost stories of people I will never know.


This is my uncle (on the left), my mother's brother, my father's best friend. He was named after my grandmother's brother (the one in the first picture). He was killed in Italy during the Second World War. I have some of his letters too.

Because it is the 100th anniversary of WW1 and because I have always been drawn to the past, I am working on a series of pieces that will allude to an earlier time period.
More about that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment