a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015

A New Consideration


copyright B. Di Lella donkey drawings in process 2015
For quite some time now I've been considering doing a line of domesticated animals. Perhaps this is an influence from the past. Children's books and illustrators of animal stories were always significant for me. It is only natural that these early visuals would bubble up sooner or later. Lucy Kemp Welch, Will James, Ernest Thompson Seton and others, many of whom were not acknowledged by publishers such as the McLoughlin Brothers.
  
Anyway, these donkeys are the beginnings of a new consideration. The more I think about it the more excited I am about doing not just the donkeys, but cows and sheep, goats and pigs, and chickens and geese. Mind, I won't be able to do them all at once...

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great idea. I can see your affinity for children's illustration in these donkey sketches. They're charming!
    Thanks so much for those 3 links. They're wonderful illustrators! I'm off to continue exploring their work on google.

    ReplyDelete