a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My Running Horse

copyright B. Di Lella 2015 Running Horse
Horses have been with me since I was a little girl. I would draw them constantly. I would look for them on country drives. I would imagine them running beside the car as we drove, jumping over fences, flying past the trees. I would read books about them (Black Beauty, Smoky etc.). And I would sing quietly to myself about them. 
Here is my Running Horse.
I was listening to a radio program with Kevin Ashton speaking about creativity and inspiration (his book: How to Fly a Horse). The premise being that the idea of creativity results from inspiration is an idyllic concept but hardly accurate. Creativity comes from hard work and it's the work that creates the inspiration. And of course, creative people are thought of as rather rude because they generally prefer to be productive than to socialize. Well...it's a huge and fascinating thing to share a conversation about.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of a quote I've read often. I really didn't understand it at first, but in time I did. Inspiration can still play a huge role in artwork, but it's definitely secondary to hard work and perseverance.

    "I always thought that inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." - attributed to Chuck Close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always found that if I just start something, anything, the ideas start to come.

      So, yes, I totally agree!

      Delete