a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday's Treasures



I feel like I'm back in school with all the reading I have been doing on Cotton production,whether it's organic or non-organic, as well as a new catagory: sustainable cotton .
The amount of information is overwhelming, let alone scarey.

Not all is doom and gloom though and certainly interest and demand has a way of turning things around. This article is encouraging to read. 

But certainly realities also exist:

 When asked what their greatest barriers are to planting more cotton in 2010, growers cited finding a market for their cotton, finding a market that will pay value-added costs of organic products, production challenges such as weeds and insects, weed control, and labor costs. Growers also cited competition from international organic cotton producers as well as the cost of transition to organic.

I know this is a lot of information and I hope it's not too daunting. But we all make choices sooner or later. My approach is to throw the seeds out there (forgive the pun) and, if the conditions are right, they'll grow.
organicbynature

1 comment:

  1. Integrity costs.
    But the costs of compromise are higher.
    I am delighted to see your pursuit of integrity.

    ReplyDelete