a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

A Special Place


Still running about looking for gifts. There are birthdays this time of year too and one of our favourite places to visit is Contact. This is a very special book store filled with used and rare  collections.


The main attraction for me is the children's section, of course. These two little Bonzo books (about 3in. x 3in./ 7.5cm. x 7.5cm.) are so sweet with illustrations by George Ernest Studdy  were a pleasure to look through.


There were so many books to look through, it was easy to lose track of time. There were quite a few Alice in Wonderland books with many first editions and many illustrators including Arthur Rackham and Charles Robinson. Unfortunately, I didn't get the name of this particular illustrator. If anyone knows, please let me know.

The Uncle Remus books are always fun to read although there is not much information about the illustrator, J.M. Conde.

I wish I could have taken more pictures of this wonderful book store that is actually the main floor of an old house. O, well.

It is probably fitting
that the last few posts
have been about
children 
and
presents.
I hope your last weekend
before Christmas
is full of
laughter
accomplishments
&
fun

2 comments:

  1. Sounds an enchanting place in which to get completely lost in time! Love the Bonzo books, so cute, you can learn so much from these talented people! Hope you have a lovely Christmas, maybe take a rest??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    I'm so glad I met your cousin in Sarasota, I've enjoyed your work all year too! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete